Thursday, August 12, 2010

Coffee with a Genius?

I have NEVER said this about anyone before, but I think Nate might be too smart for me. We met up earlier today, and he was quite handsome- more handsome than I was expecting from the picture he sent. I was expecting him to be more gangly, because he looked super skinny in the photos.

We had a really nice conversation, and hung out for about two hours. I'm pretty smart- I went to a great college, I'm fairly witty in conversation, I know a lot of random trivia, I'm well traveled, well read and the recipient of a fairly prestigious international scholarship. He went to an ivy league, and despite having a humanities major he "dabbled" in graduate level math and physics. It was just a feeling I got while talking to him- not that I couldn't keep up, but just that I wasn't quite on his intellectual level. He wasn't even obnoxious about it, but I couldn't shake the feeling.

I had trouble reading whether or not he was interested, until he offered to walk me to my train and found an excuse to briefly touch me on my arm. Then I was like (to myself, not outloud) "ohhhh, you ARE interested."

There must be something about people I can't read that intrigues me, because I seemingly continue to date them. Its like, I get overly sexually attracted to people when I don't know if they're interested. I always want what I can't have!

I left my date quite interested in Nate. Apparently, he did too because I got some funny text from him a few hours later, and we texted a little back and forth over the evening. Then he texted this:

Next time we go somewhere for a drink so I can grill you about your, ahem, "interest."

I was so turned on when I got this text, I wanted to immediately be like, "ask away!" Then I remembered Ben, and I decided I should hold off awhile if I actually want to date him and not just get spankings from him.

Haha it's actually something I'm quite shy about so you're either going to have to get me wasted or (preferably) wait to get to know me a little better.

He responded

I guess that's reasonable

Again, now I am in the mode where I'm like "well, I hope he doesn't take that as a sign of disinterest." Its funny how I am like that- I wanted to please him with my answers, but if I'm not 100% percent comfortable then of course I shouldn't. I have to remember my mother's advice that you should never show your cards up front, and you have to preserve a little mystery because that is what men like. My mother's advice isn't terribly "PC" but it certainly works!

No comments: